HSE Program Director
Safety Plus empowers companies to prevent tragedies by making safe work efficient and attainable. Whether managing outsourced safety operations or providing best in class safety management software and services, it is imperative that our team maintain the highest standard of current industry knowledge, and that our safety programs accurately address all relevant legal and regulatory standards and guidelines. The Health, Safety, Environmental Program Director is responsible for ensuring that all Safety Plus materials, processes, and guidelines meet our standards of excellence, and that we can therefore provide customers with the professional, accurate, and appropriate services they expect.
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Salary: Up to $100,000 per year
Schedule: 8-Hour Shift, Monday – Friday
Benefits: Dental insurance, Flexible spending account, Health insurance, Paid time off, Retirement plan, Vision insurance
Experience: OSHA: 7 years (Preferred), DOT compliance and management: 1 year (Preferred), MSHA compliance and management: 1 year (Preferred), EPA compliance and management: 1 year (Preferred), Direct experience writing safety policies: 1 year (Preferred)
Role: HSE Program Director
- Research regulatory changes across OSHA, DOT, MSHA, and EPA and ensure that company materials of all types remain appropriate and accurate.
- Research state-specific regulatory plans noting the discrepancies between state and federal rules as applicable.
- Develop site specific safety plans for clients.
- Create and maintain safety training content for the company’s proprietary computer-based training courses.
- Participate in calls and meetings with clients and team members to understand situation-specific safety concerns and provide consulting assistance in such instances.
- Write and review safety meetings, JSAs, and other template content.
- Write, edit, and review safety policies and procedures for clients.
- Provide assistance to Safety Plus team members during regulatory audits of clients (including OSHA, DOT, MSHA, and EPA audits) and assist with responses.
- Review and edit the written work of other Safety Plus safety professionals.
- Directly serve clients as a safety professional in the field as well as handle any projects assigned.
Competencies & Qualities
- Qualified candidates must have the following competencies and qualities:
- Passion for occupational safety
- Demonstrates the intellectual capacity to read, comprehend, digest, summarize, and convey to others complex legal and regulatory material and can understand and apply real-world risk considerations to customer situations
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision
- Detail-oriented professional who gets things right
- Maintains a positive, humble, and helpful attitude at all times
- Highly organized and able to effectively manage time and deadlines
- Able to work tirelessly on projects that may require days or weeks of continuous effort
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Extremely high level of verbal and emotional intelligence
Education, Experience, and Certifications
- 4-year college degree in Occupational Safety & Health or a related field
- 7+ years of experience with OSHA compliance and safety management
- Experience with DOT compliance and management
- Exposure to MSHA compliance and management
- Exposure to EPA compliance and management
- Direct experience writing safety policies
- BCSP or ABIH Certification(s) including, but not limited to, any of: CSP, ASP, GSP, SMS, OHST, CHST, CIH, etc.
- OSHA 510 or 511 certificate
- Experience in legal settings, including serving as an expert witness
- MSHA, DOT, and/or EPA certifications
- Occupational Safety and Health experience in multiple industries
Supervisory Responsibility: This role has no supervisory responsibility, but will collaborate with all safety team members on a regular basis and, in many circumstances, be required to review and critique the work of other team members.
Work Environment: In most cases, work will be performed in a climate-controlled office space.
Travel: This requires occasional travel as needed.
Physical Demand: This role will require using a computer for long periods of time while sitting or standing. This role may require conducting safety management activities in the field for clients.
Position Type Expected Hours: This is a full-time position (minimum 40 hours) with responsibilities that may require night and weekend work in order to remain available and meet deadlines.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Activities, duties, and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.